Spot of mountain biking today

Went up Kemback Woods in Fife today to take some snaps of a few mountain bikers I know. I had two flashes with me wrapped in plastic in case it really started tipping down but the weather stayed fair. The majority of biking photos play on a few techniques, either the action is caught super sharp  (best with short flash duration strobes) or you can give your background a bit of a blur with a slower shutter and perhaps some second-curtain sync.

Unfortunately, most of my photos from today came out a bit OOF and it's because I wasn't tracking the rider before I took a picture (low light conditions playing havoc too).  I don't photograph much action or sports. That's now been put in the memory bank. Though I was quite happy with the last couple of pics I took considering this is new to me, just felt like I was starting to get into it. 1/40th, F4, ISO 160, 580ex camera right up high and 430ex camera left down low to give catchlight. Those eyes are sharp!


It's important not to flash riders head on or too strongly as well, for safety. I would say that in biking photos the most important things are getting good catchlights which can be difficult. Also trying to convey speed is important, though if you can freeze the action too this is good for capturing the rider in a pose when cornering or mid-jump for instance. Super wide-angle lenses are useful here too. Another thing I learned is that having a fast camera is not always too your advantage, at best you can fire off about 2/3 flashes in a row at quarter power. Though if it was any more I think the riders might be having a word with you!

No Response to "Spot of mountain biking today"

Post a Comment