When photography and film collide

The Canon 5DMK2 has been available for some time now. It was the first full-frame DSLR to incorporate HD video. It quickly became one of the most sought after cameras, oddly for both photographers and filmmakers. Certainly a first for what is essentially a 'stills camera' at the end of the day. Photographers were drawn towards the 21MP sensor. The same sensor found in Canon's top of the range 1DS MK3 - a camera with a price tag the same as two 5D's! For filmmakers, the huge sensor provides a beautiful, shallow depth of field equivalent to 35mm film, albeit digitally. In addition, the beauty of incorporating video recording into a DSLR is the ability to attach separate photographic lenses: from long telephoto to super wide all with very large (or fast) apertures. Of course, the camera is not perfect for both of these demands. Having owned one for some time now I can safely say that for photography the auto-focus is woeful, never EVER a substitute for the auto-focus of my 8 year old 1D MK2. On the other hand, I have dabbled with the video functions of the camera and have learned a few things about cinematography along the way. I've even worked on a few 'short films' because of it. It has always been said that photography is the best route into film work. Despite this I don't think I'll be pursuing a career in film...the future job prospects are no better than photography! 

 Anyway, here are some photos from a film I helped out with that was shot on the Isle of Skye. A whole week on a beautiful and remote island I hadn't been to before...great! I thought, then I realised after the first day that my camera assistant role would mainly involve carrying a load of gear around and being responsible for the most important equipment we had! When I had a moment to myself I was able to shoot stills for the production, here are just a few of the hundred's that were taken (click to view larger).



No Response to "When photography and film collide"

Post a Comment